Documentation required for an unmarried partner visa to the UK

The United Kingdom is a country unlike any other. It allows freedom and prosperity for the citizens of all nationality, race, colour and gender. People can live without the fear of being prosecuted due to a superficial reason, and it is also allowed for unmarried couples to live together or visit each other even if they are not legally married.

The Unmarried Partner visa or the U.K. Partner Visa or the UK defacto visa allows the unmarried partner to enter or remain in the UK on the basis that they are in a relationship with a person living and settled in the United Kingdom who is an ordinary resident of the country with no immigration restriction whatsoever; placed upon them regarding the length of their stay.

The U.K. Partner Visa applies to both heterosexual and homosexual relationships (same-sex relations), as long as the applicant can prove to be in a relationship for two or more years.

Upon approval of the U.K. Partner Visa, the person can legally find work anywhere in the U.K.

To be eligible for a U.K. Partner Visa, the applicant must satisfy the following criteria-

  • both the parties must be over 18 years of age
  • both the parties must intend to live together on a permanent basis
  • both the parties must show that any previous relationships, whether married or unmarried has come to an end
  • a documentational proof stating that both the parties have been living together for at least two years
  • proof of sufficient funds is mandatory to display self sufficiency without claiming for public welfare
  • the sponsoring person or the resident of Great Britain must earn a minimum of £18,600 per annum or more, or having this amount in savings when sponsoring one adult individual from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland. In case of sponsoring a dependant, this amount will substantially increase
  • a proof of suitable accommodation should be made available for all the involved participants
  • the foreign individual must satisfy the English language requirements without exceptions

The duration of stay of an unmarried partner in the U.K. will be issued for an initial period of thirty three months if applied from overseas, or thirty months if applying from within the United Kingdom. To live in the U.K. for another thirty months, totaling to a period of five years of continuous stay in the country, an extension will be required. After the period of five years of unprohibited stay on a temporary spouse visa, you may be eligible to apply for an Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom, subject to conditions such as the applicant is still living with his or her partner in the United Kingdom this whole period, and meets other criteria as mentioned above.

For an entry clearance, it may be possible to switch to a UK partner visa while in the UK provided the Leave to remain in the United Kingdom was granted for a duration exceeding six months.