Canada working visa


Youth from select countries can use Canada’s working holiday Visa program to travel, work and live in Canada for up to 12 months. As per this program, youth aged 18 to 30 years, can work up to 12 months in the country while combining it with travel.

Canada visa working holiday enables youth to finance their travel and accrue overseas work experience simultaneously. This program is one among three programs conducted as part of the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative of the Canadian government. The other two programs as per IEC are International Coop Internship and young Professionals programs.

There is a pool of candidates from one country and one category each in the IEC initiative. The first task to avail of the IEC programs is to pose as a candidate in any of the IEC pools (one or more). For this you have to create an IEC profile.

 In case you become eligible, your profile will be allowed to be part of one or more IEC pools.  You will get a confirmation message in your account. Typically, your profile will remain in the pool till:

  • You receive a message for inviting you for application of a work permit.
  • They remove all profiles from the pool towards the close of the season
  • You have no more eligibility for IEC.

The govt issues invitations to candidates in the IEC pools regularly in the IEC season. Keep a check on:

  • when the invitations rounds for every country and category will begin and end.
  • the number of candidates in each pool
  • the chances of your getting an invite this season.

The submission of a profile can be done at any time during the IEC season. Provided you complete submission of your profile before the date of the last round of invitations for your nation, you are eligible to get an Invitation to Apply regarding a work permit.


You can hold only one IEC profile at a time. But you can be eligible for more than one IEC pool at the same time. After you finish making your profile, you will be informed about what pools you are eligible for. Submission of your profile can be done to one of the pools. For instance, you maybe eligible for both Young Professionals pool and Working holiday pool.


These are issued in the following order:

  • International internship
  • Young professionals
  • Working holiday

For instance, if you are eligible for international internship and working holiday pools, you will get an invitation to apply for international internship, first. You will get Invitation to Apply for holiday working visa Canada only if all spots in International Internship are filled.


A work permit may not be issued automatically if you get an Invitation to Apply. For getting your work permit, one has to:

  • Give proof of information you provided in your IEC profile
  • Give further information on your background, education and work history.
  • Provide other supporting documents when needed.

If you are admitted to an IEC pool, you must start keeping ready documents needed for application for work permit. It may take several months to get ready these documents. You may get an Invitation to Apply at any time and so you must be prepared as requests for documents may arise any time.